"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Wednesday 2 March 2016

Kids' Special# 4 - Soft Noodles with Veggies and Poached Egg #FoodieExtravaganza


It has been a long time since the last Kids' Special. I started this tradition of sharing Kids' meals a few weeks before my Mummy passed away and frankly speaking I never wanted to restart it as it reminded me too much of her. 





When Lauren Mitchell of From Gate to Plate hosted March's  #FoodieExtravaganza event Noodles, I had no choice but to restart the Kids' Special as I had already prepped the dish and had to only post the same. And for this thank you from the bottom of my heart dear Lauren. Also special thanks for allowing me to partake in this month's Noodles event though I was a little late without which I would have probably further delayed the sharing of G'Gina's Kitchenette's Kids' meals tradition. 


I have always wanted to make noodles or pasta from scratch. Never had a chance to buy the pasta maker though (someday!! sigh!)


Although this is not Mum's Recipe per say, it reminded me a lot of how she would cook up noodles for her grand kids when we all came visiting home as all of them love noodles.



You need:

  • 1 packet of dried noodles of your choice (400 gms)
  • 1-2 eggs (optional, I used quail eggs)
  • Vegetables of your choice - chopped or diced (2 cups)
  • Salt to taste
  • Seasoning - A pinch each of turmeric, garam masala, coriander powder
  • Cup of Fresh stock or 1 stock cube
  • 1:1 ratio of Water to noodles
  • Water to boil veggies
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic shavings (optional)
  • Drizzle of oil
  • Drizzle of Soya sauce

The Make:

Serves 2 kids | Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes | Cooking Time : up to 20 minutes

1. Boil the noodles in same quantity of water (or a little less) on medium-low heat. Once the water is cleared, set aside. Boil the veggies until half cooked in another bowl. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile in a wok, drizzle some oil in a wok and add the half cooked veggies and garlic shavings and saute well. 
3. Next add the stock cube, seasoning, salt to taste and saute for a minute.
4. Toss in the noodles and a drizzle of soya sauce (my kid likes it. You can skip it if you like) and saute it for a minute.
5. Serve hot with a poached egg on top. I intentionally did not swirl the water while poaching the egg as my kid likes to see the yolk. This was done with quail egg.

Foodie Extravaganza

Posting day is always the first Wednesday of each month. If you are a blogger and would like to join our group and blog along with us, come join our Facebook page Foodie Extravaganza. We would love to have you! If you're a spectator looking for delicious tid-bits check out our Foodie Extravaganza Pinterest Board! Looking for our previous parties? Check them out HERE.    

And now for the star recipes from the #FoodieExtravaganza Noodle Party goers:

One Pot Garlic Pasta by From Gate to Plate
Haluski (Fried Cabbage & Noodles) by Making Miracles
Homemade Chinese Noodles by Fearlessly Creative Mammas
Spicy Shrimp with Peanut Noodles by cookinandcraftin
Bacon and Beer Mac & Cheese by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Sopa Seca de Fideo - Spicy Mexican Noodles by Food Lust People Love
Green Bean and Squash Laksa by Caroline's Cooking
Kakaós Tészta (Hungarian Cocoa Noodles) by Tara's Multicultural Table
MiMi's Baked Ziti by Cooking With Carlee
Tortellini and Tomato Salad by The Freshman Cook
Homemade Noodles by Our Good Life
Tossed Homemade Macaroni Noodles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Kids' Special# 4 - Soft Noodles with Veggies and Poached Egg by G'Gina's Kitchenette

13 comments:

  1. Even if it brought up difficult memories, I'm so glad you shared a little of your mom and this terrific kid-inspired dish with us today. It looks like something even my picky 2 year old might enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebekah <3 I am happy to hear that! Hugs to your precious little one :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious, I am glad you were able to join us. It is interesting how recipes bring back memories, even if they weren't exactly recipes directly from the person we were thinking of. I am sure my little guy would love this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlee. So true!That sounds good - hope you get to try it out for your son <3

      Delete
    2. Thanks Carlee. So true!That sounds good - hope you get to try it out for your son <3

      Delete
  3. Your Mum is smiling down with happiness and pride that you are continuing her traditions and by doing so keeping her alive for the next generation. It is so hard losing a Mom but it is these small things that keep them next to us forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy...I sure hope so! I miss her like crazy every single day! I know she continues to guide me as always! Hugs coming your way too <3 <3

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a beautiful tradition. I love the egg on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet your mom is watching you and smiling because you are trying. I've never had quail eggs before. This sounds like a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you shared this recipe with us. Moms (and grandmas) are always the best and definitely want their recipes made, loved, and shared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren. That is so true...the best recipes come from Moms n grandmoms

      Delete

"I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

Waiting to hear from you!"