"This is a journey of my life since I was all of 12 yrs when I started my hand in cooking to now with displays of my learning and creations of recipes from around the world. My inspiration and role model has always been my Mum who has always created dishes from around the world and excellently well. I do not believe I would ever match to her culinary skills. I remember the times she could cook and bake almost 4-5 dishes in one go without ever letting one go under cooked or burnt! I was born and raised in Dubai, UAE and recently moved to India for family reasons. Kitchenette just means that over the decades, my kitchen has changed from that of my mum's to my uncle and aunt's, to my home in UAE and now in India. Pala't'te, describes both global cuisines ('Palatte'-diverse flavours) and pleasing diverse 'Palates'."

Tuesday 14 July 2015

Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips Oatmeal Scones #BreadBakers

I have been away for too long once again and dear readers I have to apologise once again but this time as most of G'Gina's Kitchenette facebook readers are aware, I have moved cities. Yes again! So a new kitchen, a new beautiful home and lots of hopeful expectations for better cooks & bakes. For now it's brown cardboard boxes that are waiting to be unpacked while I rest to recuperate from hurting myself during the packing and unpacking process.  





Scones has always been on my to do list and what better time to try it out as the lovely Rocio Rivera Gentil of  Kids and Chic hosts this month's #BreadBakers event 'Oatmeal Breads'. Thanks Rocio for the wonderful opportunity.





Scones find its origin in the United Kingdom and I first had the most perfect scone on our family's visit to United Kingdom during my schooling age. My Mum had gained a nickname 'London Leela' owing to the fact that she was one of the early medical staff who had trained in her profession in London. She always raved of the ways things were done in London. She also adopted a lot of the food and English culture at home. I owe this recipe to her as well.




The scone is a part of the traditional cream tea or Cornish cream tea or Devonshire tea, which is  a form of afternoon tea as a light meal consisting of scones with with clotted cream and jam. It differs from teacake or sweet buns which are made out of yeast.




I have included an option for those who are allergic to nuts/peanut butter.




This is a simple recipe too!




You need:


  • 21/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 11/4 cup Quaker oats (not quick oats) or traditional rolled oats * see Notes 1. 
  • 7 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 egg, separated
  • ½ cup cold peanut butter (or 1 cup small bananas mashed) 
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup dark unsweetened or semi sweet chocolate chips
  • White powdered or raw sugar,castor sugar or icing sugar for sprinkling
The Make:
Preparation Time: 15 mins | Bake Time: up to 30 minutes | Makes 8 scones


1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and place a butter paper or baking sheet on your baking tray and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, blend the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. 
3. Add the butter and using your fingertips (* see Notes 2.) to blend the butter into the flour mixture.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk and the egg yolk together taking care not to whisk too much.
5. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the buttermilk and yolk mixture into the well and then add the peanut butter and gently fold the mixture together until it blends together. 
6.Then add in the chocolate chips and gently knead with your hand until just incorporated taking care not to over mix the dough
7. Turn the dough out on to the butter paper or baking sheet and mould the dough into a round disk about 8-9" in diameter. Pat to smoothen the surface as much as possible.
9. Brush atop the dough with whisked egg white, and sprinkle the top with powdered sugar.
10. Cut the dough into 8 wedges taking care not to separate them.



11. Bake the scones for 25-30 mins, or until the scones are nice and golden brown or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or sometimes with a few crumbs attached
11. Remove from the oven and let it cool aside for 5 minutes, then slice the already wedged 8 pieces and separate them this time.
12. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, or serve slightly warm. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or refrigerate and use up to 4 days. Slightly warm in the oven before serving though if refrigerated. Optionally serve with some plain unsweetened cream or even sour cream on top. 




 * Notes:
1. Rolled oats are traditionally oat groats (hulled kernels of oat cereal or the wholegrain of the oats that have been husked and includes the bran, cereal germ and endosperm) that have been de-husked, steamed and then rolled into flat flakes, then stabilised through light toasting process.
2. You can also use a pastry blender instead of using your fingertips.





This is my cup of tea with my slice of scone on the next day of baking these scrumptious scones :)....

Tea and Scones Anyone? ...





#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme.  Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com

Oatmeal Bread themed #BreadBakers:

  • Agave Oatmeal Sour Dough Bread from My Catholic Kitchen
  • Applesauce Oatmeal Bread from Hostess at Heart
  • Banana Oatmeal Loaf from Basic N Delicious
  • Blueberry Currant Oatmeal Bread from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
  • Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
  • Honey Oatmeal Bread from A Day in the Life on the Farm
  • Honey Oatmeal Bread from Recipes, Food and Cooking
  • Honey-Oatmeal Muffins from A Baker's House
  • Honey Oats Bread Loaf from Gayathri's Cook Spot
  • Honey Nut Oatmeal Waffles from Magnolia Days
  • Honey Wheat Oat Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
  • Irish Oat and Whole Wheat Bread from Cali's Cuisine
  • Lemon Blueberry Oat Bread from Kids & Chic
  • Multigrain Twist Bread from What Smells So Good?
  • Oat Breadsticks from Passion Kneaded
  • Oatmeal and Whole Wheat Rolls from Sneha's Recipe
  • Oatmeal Buttermilk Bread from Ruchik Randhap
  • Oatmeal Porridge Sandwich Loaf from Bakers and Best
  • Oatmeal Stout Loaf from Food Lust People Love
  • Oat & Honey Bread from La Cocina de Aisha
  • Oats and Millet Idli from Spice Roots
  • Oats Bread with Maple and Walnut by Cook's Hideout
  • Oats Garlic Kulcha from SimplyVeggies
  • Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chips Oatmeal Scones from G'Gina's Kitchenette
  • Rolled Oat Sourdough Boule from A Shaggy Dough Story
  • Savory Oats Scones from Sara's Tasty Buds
  • Triple Seeded Oat Bread from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
  • Whole Wheat Honey Oatmeal Bread from Spill the Spices





  • BreadBakers

    36 comments:

    1. I love peanut butter! I'd have one of these for breakfast and one for an afternoon snack.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Beautiful! I would love one of your scones with a proper cup of tea for breakfast this morning. Very nicely done!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Cali. Wish I was near, would have happily served you the scones with a hot cuppa tea :)

        Delete
    3. I really want to try this but think I might have to make half a recipe. I think we'll probably eat them all right after they come out of the oven!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Adam. That sounds like a good plan. Let me know if you do try it out and how it turns out! Yeah we did the same :)

        Delete
    4. I love this recipe is a great way to use oatmeal. Thank you very much for participating

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Rocio and thanks for the lovely opportunity.

        Delete
    5. These scones look delicious. I don't care for dry scones, and yours look very moist!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Julie. Yes the butter contributed to the softness I believe. Yeah I don't care a bit for dry scones either :)

        Delete
    6. Looks pretty good, thank you for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Your scones look excellent. Enjoy your new home in your new city.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Beautiful scones! AND I love your dishes =)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Aww thanks whole heaps Karen =) That's my signature smiley btw. My friend use to say my expression (ie my smiling face) reminded her of =)

        Delete
    9. Yes to tea and scones! and yes yes yes to one with peanut butter.

      ReplyDelete
    10. It looks like you are settling in well to your new kitchen and home. Hope all is well!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I had made these scones just before I left my last home. Trying to settle into our new home. I hurt myself in the process. Thank you so much for checking in on me xx

        Delete
    11. What lovely scones these are Georgie! Perfect with tea and yes, a perfect snack for our lil ones! Nice pics too!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thxx my Shirkins <3 Coming from you, this is a huge compliment xx Yes Izzy loved it too :)

        Delete
    12. Lovely scones , prefect to relax and have it with a cup of tea.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Sneha. It truly went well with my cuppa tea :)

        Delete
    13. Your PB&C scones look amazing Geogina. Good choice for the theme.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Pavani. Great minds think alike..I was thinking of calling it PBCC scones :)

        Delete
    14. Lovely scones, look so yum.. I love to have scones with my tea..

      ReplyDelete
    15. I have a feeling that London Leela is smiling with pride right now. You are carrying on the cooking and baking tradition so well, Georgina. Your scones turned out lovely! Best wishes for happiness in your new home!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks a lot Stacy. I'd love to know that she was doing so :) Thank you! :)

        Delete
    16. Recently discovered scones when we shifted to London. Not much of a baker but this looks absolutely delicious and I have pretty much all the ingredients right now. Going to try this!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Aditi. Its quite simple really. Do let me know how it turns out.

        Delete
    17. I love how you incorporate your mother's memory into everything you do. Lovely scones!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Kelly for your sweet words x Without Mum I can say for sure I would have never taken to baking or cooking! She has always been my inspiration!

        Delete
    18. Never tried Scones before... Your Scones tempting me to try one soon...

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Shilpi. You should try it...its simply really! :)

        Delete

    "I would love to hear your views and suggestions on my post. If you have tried my recipe and made alterations too, I would love to learn of it!

    Kindly do not post any links or advertisements as they would NOT get published.

    In case you face any issue in posting your comments, please do get in touch with me on gginazkitchenette@gmail.com

    Thanks in advance for all your positive comments, suggestions and critiques..I will respond to your comments and feedback as soon as possible....

    Waiting to hear from you!"